2 lbs pork butt
2 T vegetable oil
1 T salt
1 T garlic powder
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 bay leaf
small tortillas (we used flour tortillas)
toppings of your choice (we used queso fresco, pickled onions, sour cream, avocado and salsa verde)
- Cut pork butt into fist sized chunks. I don't worry about trimming the meat too much at this point. You will have plenty of time to remove the fat later.
- Heat up a heavy pan and vegetable oil. Sprinkle salt on meat, then brown in batches.
- Once all of the meat is brown, add back into pan.
- Add spices. Then fill pan with water until meat is 2/3 covered.
- Cover and cook in a 300 F oven for 3 hours.
- Let cool enough to handle. Pull the meat out and shred. Feel free to use your hands. This meat is tender! Remove any fatty pieces.
I mean, really?! I could dig in here... but it gets better!
- Either skim the fat off the braising liquid or use a fat separator.
- Add meat and de-fatted liquid back to the pan. Put in a 375 F oven until liquid is almost gone and meat is starting to brown.
Can we just take a second to appreciate how beautiful that is?
- Serve on tortillas with toppings of your choice