Triple Chocolate Cake Balls
1 Devil's Food Cake mix baked according to directions
1 tub of frosting
2 pounds chocolate or candy melt
- Cool the baked cake completely and then tear it to little bits, the smaller the better!
- Mix the cake with the tub of frosting
- Form into balls (or footballs!)
- Freeze for a half hour
- While the little balls of chocolate goodness freeze, start melting some chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip cake balls in chocolate while they are still cold. This helps them hold together and minimizes the bits of cake that end up in your chocolate.
- Let sit at room temperature until set.
I have a double boiler for one of my larger saucepans, but I prefer to use a glass bowl over one of my smallest sauce pans. This way the chocolate is deeper and not spread out so far. I mixed a little powdered sugar and milk to make a quick icing to pipe on the balls and made laces for the footballs and swirls for the round balls.