I knew I would be on the road, so I made the casserole the night before up until the point you put the cheese on it. Then I put it in the refrigerator. When I got home from work, all I had to do was pull it out of the fridge and preheat the oven. I added a few minutes to the bake time because the casserole started cold. Everyone was a fan of this one. Matt had two heaping plates full. Jax picked out all of the noodles and cheese for himself and handed me the broccoli and onions! Silly kid!!
Grandma Scharnhorst's Chicken Broccoli Casserole
8 ounces egg noodles
3 T butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
5 cups shredded chicken (or turkey!)
1 12 oz package frozen broccoli, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cook noodles according to package directions to al dente. Drain and place in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Cook onions in butter until tender. Add flour and cook for about a minute. Pour in the chicken broth while stirring. Add milk and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, stirring frequently.
- Spread chicken and broccoli over noodles. Pour sauce over the top of the casserole.
- Mix cheese together and spread over casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly with melted cheese.