When I asked Matt if his grandma had any recipes this was the first thing he mentioned. He remembers them making it together when he was a kid. They liked it so much, that he and Jess asked her to make it a couple of years back. We all went to Grandma's house and make the caramel corn. We couldn't wait for it to cool. We ate it while it was still hot and sticky!
So, next time you are at the grocery store, ask for a paper bag. You'll thank yourself!
Grandma Scharnhorst's Microwave Caramel Corn
3-4 quarts popped corn
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
- Place corn in a paper grocery bag. Add nuts if using.
- In medium sauce pan, add butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Boil for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in baking soda.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn. Roll down the top of the bag and shake.
- Place bag in microwave and heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes
- Shake and place back in microwave. Heat for 1 minute 15 seconds.
- Shake again and then pour onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool.