There is just something about the buttery crunch of homemade caramel corn that makes you keep going back for more. There is no stopping it and it's ok, because you won't really want to start. The secret to getting that crunch is cooking the popcorn after coating it in caramel. A lot of people do that in the oven, and it works great. But Matt's grandma has a secret that makes it so much quicker and even easier!
So, next time you are at the grocery store, ask for a paper bag. You'll thank yourself!
Grandma Scharnhorst's Microwave Caramel Corn
3-4 quarts popped corn
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Place corn in a paper grocery bag. Add nuts if using.
- In medium sauce pan, add butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Boil for 3 minutes stirring frequently
- Stir in baking soda.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn. Roll down the top of the bag and shake.
- Place bag in microwave and heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes
- Shake and place back in microwave. Heat for 1 minute 15 seconds.
- Shake again and then pour onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool.