We love having people over to watch football. It is fun to get everyone together and rib each other about how we are doing in our pick'em pool, talk smack about our fantasy teams and just catch up. But if you are like us, the game is only half of the attraction. The other half is the food! I have a pot of chili going more Sundays than not during football season. It is also a great time to try out new snack recipes. I love to make and eat that kind of food, but sometimes a full batch is too much for just us.
This recipe is perfect for your game day gatherings. MiMi found it on the Rhodes website and new it would be a hit with everyone. They turned out so darn cute and were really delicious. The leftovers were good reheated too. Don't worry too much about that though, there won't be many left!
Stuffed Pizza Footballs
24 Rhodes Rolls, thawed to room temperature
1 can pizza sauce
1 package mozzarella cheese
1 package mini pepperoni
6 slices provolone or mozzarella
- Put a hunk of dough on a rolling surface and roll it out into an oval shape
- Put a heavy teaspoon of sauce on half of the dough ovals and spread around. Leave a rim around the edge with no sauce.
- Place a few mini pepperonis on the sauce, then add a little shredded cheese.
- Top with a second oval of dough. Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Cut the sliced cheese into strips and place over dough to resemble the laces on a football.
- Bake on parchment paper in a 350 F oven for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.