I have seen other recipes for Texas sheet cake, but most don't have the cinnamon. This is a great touch that makes this cake stand apart. It is just enough to give some character. MMMM!
Grandma Rees' Texas Sheet Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter
4 T cocoa
1 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
4 T cocoa
6 T milk
1/2 cup butter
1 lb powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Pour over flour mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add the rest if the ingredients and stir until uniform.
- Pour into a well greased half sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes
- Once the cake is mostly cooled, start the frosting by bringing the butter, cocoa and milk to a boil.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla and spread over the cake. Easy peasy!
Somebody get me a spoon!
- Spread over cake
Really... a spoon please. I can't take it!
Since this cake is great for a crowd, I made it for the super bowl. Shhhhh!
Don't tell anyone the secret play!