So, I decided to take the flavors I love and make a quiche. There is less room for it to grow! I used hot Italian sausage, but you could use sweet. Or feel free to use breakfast sausage, that would be good too! Matt went back for thirds, so that is a good sign. It really hit the spot! It made an excellent dinner, but would be a really nice option for a brunch as well.
Sausage, Kale and Mushroom Quiche
1 cup milk
1/2 lb sausage (The hot Italian sausage was really good!)
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup parmesan
4 oz mushrooms, sliced (optional)
2 cups kale
- Brown the sausage, drain if there is excessive grease.
- Add sliced mushrooms and allow to brown.
- Add kale and cook until it begins to wilt and soften.
- Turn off heat. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Get crust ready in a deep dish pie plate.
- Stir mozzarella into kale mixture and spread over crust. Pour egg mixture over the kale.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. Top with Parmesan and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes. The quiche should be set except for the very center which should still have a slight jiggle.