Strawberry shortcakes are always such a treat when the berries are out. We were raised in a house were shortcakes were sweetened biscuits. We topped them with ice cream and strawberries and sometime whipped cream. Yum! We sometimes do the angel food cake variety as well, but if you say shortcake I think biscuit. We used to have drop biscuits made from Jiffy mix and some sugar, but these homemade biscuits are even better!
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 T vinegar
4 T sugar
1 T melted butter
sugar for sprinkling on top
Lots of strawberries, ice cream and whipped cream!!
- Preheat oven to 475 F
- Mix together milk and vinegar and set aside for five minutes
- Place dry ingredients in the food processor. Add the 1/2 cup butter
- Pulse until mixture becomes coarse crumbs, about 22 pulses
- Stir in buttermilk until the dough just comes together
- Knead the dough 3-4 times on a lightly floured surface
- Pat into a 7x10 rectangle. Cut biscuits using a 3 inch cutter and place 2 inches apart on a baking pan.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on the top shelf of your oven for 14-17 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.