I made a baked tortellini casserole that Cori sent me the recipe for a while back. I wanted to make some sort of bread to go along with it. A loaf didn't seem right and breadsticks sounded like too much work. I wanted to spend this day with the boys and not forming breadsticks. So, I decided to go with cheesy bread instead.
All I had to do what make the dough, let it rise. Then a quick squish out into a pizza pan and another rise while the pasta baked. A little brush of garlic butter, a sprinkle of cheese and ten minutes in the oven later... Yum! Perfect for wiping up any sauce that is left behind on your plate.
A lot of times whole wheat breads need some all purpose flour or bread flour mixed in. This recipe doesn't need anything other than the whole wheat flour and it still produces a moist and light bread. It has a good rise with plenty of air. We really enjoy it!
100% Whole Wheat Cheesy Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour + a little more for kneading
1 cup hot water
1 T yeast
1 T honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 T melted butter
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine hot water, honey and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Pour flour over top of water. Follow with the salt, baking powder. Mix all ingredients together.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to hydrate the flour. Then knead on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and allow to rise for a half hour.
- Stretch dough with your fingers to cover a pizza pan. Allow to rise for about another half hour.
- Melt butter and stir in garlic salt. Brush over bread dough. Sprinkle cheese over garlic butter.
- Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes
- Cut into wedges or sticks and enjoy!