I was thinking about how to tell you about my relationship to Linda. I thought I would tell you that my aunt Donna has been dating Linda's brother, Russell, for probably at least 12 years. Then I realized, I have been out of high school for almost (GULP!) 17 years.... and I have known Russell since middle school (there was a whole pass me the sugar incident that still gives me nightmares... am I right Sarah?!) So, lets reverse the numbers and say that they have probably been together for closer to 23 years! That is a long time!Yikes!
So anyway, Linda is practically my aunt Donna's sister-in-law. She is famous for making this homemade cake and bringing it to the South Side Improvement Association dinners in Belleville. When I lived in her area, she was always nice enough to invite me over for dinner and when I was lucky she made it for me as well. My sister Kristie went to college not too far from her. We went to her house for dinner the night before she moved in her freshman year. Linda made her a carrot cake and Kristie requested another for her birthday cake!!
Of course, I think the frosting makes the cake. So, this is no different. A good carrot cake needs a good cream cheese frosting. Linda included a simple and classic version that would be great on any cake. I also love this cake with my Maple Cream Cheese Frosting. Yep, it's as good as it sounds!
Don't let the thought of making a cake from scratch scare you off. This is a great one that comes together in a bowl with no fancy methods. It is quick and painless, I promise. In fact until recently I didn't make many cakes, and when I did it was from a mix. Of course that has changed over the last few years. Now I really enjoy getting out a bowl and spoon and go to work making a cake!
And what isn't made better with a little cream cheese frosting?!
Linda's Famous Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb carrots, finely grated
Linda's Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
3 T butter
1 Lb box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla (clear if you have it)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grease a 9x13 pan and preheat your oven to 350 F
- Mix all dry ingredients and sift well.
- Beat eggs, vanilla and oil together, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in carrots and pour into prepared 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour to an hour and 15 minutes or until browned and springy when touched. Let cool before icing.
For the frosting:
- Cream together butter and cream cheese
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well, until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled cake.
This week, thirteen bloggers are sharing 46 recipes and tips to help you serve up deliciousness this Easter. Follow #EasterRecipes on social media to see what we're serving up!
- Baked Eggs with Tomatoes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spring Herb Brie Bake by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Classic Peanut Butter Confetti Bars by Making the Most of Naptime
- Easter Muddy Buddies by Family Around The Table
- Honey Cinnamon Quick Bread by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Linda's Famous Carrot Cake by Cooking With Carlee
- Mini Easter Cheesecake Bites by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Deviled Ham Bites by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Easy Pecan Sticky Buns by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Easy Citrus Ham by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Sausage and Vegetable Strata by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus With Lemon Herb Sauce by Tip Garden
- Strawberry “Carrots” by Family Around The Table
- Easter Malted Milk Dip by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Sharadan's Lemon Blueberry Parfaits by Cooking With Carlee
- Easter Egg Cooking and Dyeing Tips and Tricks by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Easter Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Carrot Cake Pancakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Torta Salata Pasquale by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Dill Roasted Radishes by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Roasted Parmesan Asparagus by Family Around The Table
- Praying Arm Pretzels by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Creamy Coconut Mini Tarts by Making the Most of Naptime
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cinnamon Crescent Rolls by Tip Garden
- Individual Easter Breads by Cooking With Carlee
- Tomato Asparagus Quiche by Caroline's Cooking
- Peeps Whoopie Pies by Palatable Pastime
- Rosemary Garlic Herb Rib Roast by Family Around The Table
- Honey butter Peas and Carrots by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Pea and Pasta Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Roasted Eggplant Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm