Di's recipe was so easy. She uses a can of apple pie filling. Of course you are more than welcome to make your own favorite apple pie filling. I considered it. But then I decided why make it more difficult than it has to be? I had a super yummy apple pie in just over a half hour with only one skillet dirty from start to finish. It doesn't get much easier or tastier. Perfect for a weeknight even!
Di's Skillet Apple Pie
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 21 oz can apple pie filling
2 T cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Melt butter in 9-inch cast iron skillet. Remove one tablespoon and set aside.
- Add brown sugar to the pan and mix into butter.
- Place a pie crust over the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle with one tablespoon on cinnamon sugar.
- Spread apple pie filling over pie crust and top with second crust. Fold crust free form over the pie. It is a skillet pie, so it should be rustic and not to fussy.
- Brush reserved butter over pie crust and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Tip from Carlee: This is best served warm. As the pie cools, the butter and brown sugar harden and it makes it a bit messier to get out of the pan (though it is of course still plenty tasty, just not quite as pretty!)
Other apple favorites: