I contemplated some exotic ingredients, but it didn't seem right. I thought about doing some sort of strange compilation, but it just didn't seem right. I wanted it to obviously be a grilled cheese. Matt makes himself a grilled cheese almost every time I make a pot of soup. To him, a grilled cheese is sandwich bread, an american cheese slice and ham. If it doesn't have ham, it doesn't count... he has so many ruled!
So, I decided to start with what he loved so much and kick it up a notch.
I traded out the sandwich bread for some crusty french bread. The american cheese was replace with extra sharp cheddar and some apples were added to help balance the sharp cheese.
It remained a simple sandwich, but was hearty and tasty. We all agreed that it was the perfect sandwich for the grilled cheese party.
We tried a variety of toppings on our grilled cheese for side-by-side comparison. This combination and the pear, brie and honey were both really good, but the ham, apple and cheddar took the prize!
Ham, Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
Thinly sliced apple
Extra sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Butter your bread slices and place one butter side down on a warm skillet
- Top the bread with cheese, ham and apple slices. Place second piece of bread on sandwich butter side up
- Once the bread is golden brown, flip and cook until second side is golden
- Place sandwich on a baking sheet and place in oven for about 5 minutes. You want the cheese to be nice and melty.
Here are some other great grilled cheese ideas:
- Bacon Apple Mascarpone Grilled Cheese from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Caramelized Onion Bacon Grilled Cheese from Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Chicken Bacon and Avocado Grilled Cheese from Jacklyn at Mrs. Penguin
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Grilled Cheese from Marissa at Rae Gun Ramblings
- Crusty Griddle Baked Quesadillas with Poblano Rajas from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- French Toast Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Berry Compote from Joy at The Joyful Foodie
- Grilled Cheese in the Garden from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Spinach from Tara at Tara's Multicultural Table
- Ham, Apple and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese from Carlee at Cooking With Carlee
- Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese from Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Muffuletta Grilled Cheese from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Open Faced Italian Grilled Cheese from Kathleen at Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Southern Grilled Cheese from Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Pear Grilled Cheese from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month we celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month by serving up sandwiches.