I usually take at least three days to make these cookies. If you need some faster (and more sturdy if you plan to mail them) try the I Need Cookies Now Sugar Cookies instead. But if you are throwing a party and need a lot of cookies, these are for you!
These cookies generally take me at least three days to make... I make the dough one day, bake them the next and decorate a day later. I like to break it up a bit and enjoy each step.
This dough is soft and easy to work with. They do puff up a bit and the corners round a bit, but they are really good to eat!
My Go To Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp flavoring (I usually use a mix of 2 of the following: lemon, almond or vanilla)
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs and flavoring mix until completely incorporated
- Mix in flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
- Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours or over night.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place half the dough onto a floured surface and roll to 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 6-8 minutes
- Cool on sheet for a couple of minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
- Allow to completely cool before you decorate
This recipe is shared at Southern Plates Easter Recipes Roundup