This was a really nice combination of beef stew meat and mushrooms with a really tasty gravy. It has a surprise ingredient too. Apple juice! I wouldn't have thought of apple juice in a beef and mushroom dish, but it worked. Of course I had to make a change or two. Her recipe called for canned mushrooms, but fresh mushrooms were on sale so I went with a pound of fresh button mushrooms instead. Also, I wanted the gravy a little thicker, so I added some corn starch at the end. The following recipe includes my changes. To make her original recipe, switch an 8 oz can of mushrooms including the juice out for the fresh ones and omit the step with the corn starch.
Sarah's Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms
3 lb stew beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 lb button mushrooms
1 pkg onion soup mix
1/2 cup apple juice
1 T corn starch
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix beef, mushroom soup, mushrooms, soup mix and apple juice in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove 1/4 cup of gravy, stir in corn starch and return to slow cooker. This would be a good time to taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Crank it up to high and cook until it starts to bubble.
- Stir and serve over noodles.