I have to say this cake was a hit! I saw a few people going back for seconds. It is a rich, moist cake that begs for you to get every last crumb. Cover it with this shiny fudge frosting and you can't go wrong!! If you are worried about the coffee granules, don't be. Not one person detected it. It just makes the chocolate flavor deeper (and doesn't hurt the color either!)
Devilishly Good Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups hot water
3/4 cup oil
2 T white vinegar
1 T instant coffee granules
1/2 T vanilla extract
1/2 T almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8 inch round cake pans
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, mix together water, oil, vinegar, coffee and extracts.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined..
- Divide batter between the two pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cakes for about 15 minutes and then invert onto a baking rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Ice with this delicious fudgy frosting or your favorite frosting
Some other great frosting ideas for your cake: