Just look at that! I was the dessert committee for family dinner this week. I knew K.C. was excited to make a bacon explosion, so I thought I would do something on the grill too. This was yummy and really quick. I made the brown sugar cinnamon cream cheese frosting the day ahead and loaded the piping bag. Then all I had to do was slice some fruit and pick up some doughnuts. A few minutes at the grill, and dessert was served!
The grill marks really add great flavor to the donuts. Plus it adds a nice little crunch to the crust. The fruit is really nice grilled too. It concentrates the sugars and really makes it sweet, all while adding a little smokey flavor. Yum! The sweet and cinnamony cream cheese helps round it all out.
Grilled Fruit and Doughnut Shortcakes
12 glazed doughnuts
1 lb strawberries
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 recipe brown sugar cinnamon cream cheese frosting
- Slice fruit and coat lightly in oil.
- Place any small pieces in a grill basket or on soaked skewers.
- Grill until fruit has nice grill marks and has reached your desired texture.
- Grill doughnuts for about 45 seconds to a minute per side.
- Assemble your shortcakes and devour!