Just think of what you could do with this frosting. I have conjured up a few ideas myself:
- eat it on a spoon
- drizzle it over a bundt cake
- spread it over an apple cake
- spread it over a carrot cake
- spread it over a butter cake
- spread it over a banana cake
- dip apple slices into it
- or pear slices
- or peaches, or bananas or grapes
- or, and this may be one of my favorite ideas, spread it over the bottom of a nice soft oatmeal cookie and cover with another cookie. Smoosh and enjoy!
Like any boiled frosting, you start by thickening the milk with the flour. I went ahead and added the brown sugar and cinnamon at this stage to make sure I ended up with a smooth frosting. You can already tell this is going to be good!
Then you whip it with the cream cheese. You get a soft, luscious, flavorful frosting that you will want to eat right now! It is really soft and perfectly spreadable at this stage, but will firm up some in the fridge.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
16 oz cream cheese
- In small saucepan, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to ensure there are no clumps. Stir in milk and heat over medium low heat until thickened. It will go really slow at first, but once it starts to thicken in will go quickly. Set aside and let cool to almost room temperature.
- Whip together cream cheese and vanilla in stand mixer. Slowly pour in thickened milk mixture, then turn mixer to high and let whip for at least 5 minutes.
- Frost your cake and store in the refrigerator.
You may also like: