Ooey Gooey Cake is a St. Louis tradition. Since we live only a couple of hours from there, it shows up at our gathers regularly too. It is always a favorite. A dense cakey base covered in butter and cream cheese. What is not to love?! Well, these are that... in cookie form... and with lemon!
Ooey Gooey Lemon Butter Cookies
1 lemon cake mix
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Stir in egg, extract and cake mix until uniform.
- Chill dough for two hours
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Roll dough into small balls and place a couple of inches apart on a cookie sheet
- Bake for ten minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and finish cooling on a rack.
You may also like: