I thought the lemon would be a nice spring time variation to the cookie. Plus they would serve as a brighter counterpoint to all of the chocolate they were going to be served alongside. They turned out great! It is nice that they start out with a cake mix. Since I was planning to make a bunch of desserts for a Friday night, they all needed to be done in the hours after work in the few days leading up to the party. As those of you who have had toddlers know, that really means I couldn't get much done until after Jax goes to bed. So, any shortcuts were appreciated!
Ooey Gooey Lemon Butter Cookies
1 lemon cake mix
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Stir in egg, extract and cake mix until uniform.
- Chill dough for two hours
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Roll dough into small balls and place a couple of inches apart on a cookie sheet
- Bake for ten minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and finish cooling on a rack.
You may also like: