I knew for Jax's birthday I wanted to make a rich and dark chocolate cake. I wanted that cake to be enveloped in a rich and fudgy frosting. This combination of devilishly good chocolate cake and fudge frosting was the perfect thing!
This is another one of my now infamous cooked frostings. But, it comes together much differently than the whipped cream cheese frostings I have been droning on about. It is done completely in the saucepan. Then it is allowed to cool to room temperature slowly and is the perfect consistency for smoothing over a cake. You can tell how rich and wonderful it is just by looking at it!
Shiny Fudge Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream (do not substitute)
1/4 sour cream
1 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp vanilla
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in sugar, cocoa and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together cream, sour cream and instant coffee until smooth.
- Continuing to heat over medium-low heat, slowly add the cream mixture to the cocoa mixture. Stir until each addition is incorporated, then add more until the cream mixture is gone.
- Keep heating for another 5-6 minutes, being careful not to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove icing from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cook at room temperature for at least a couple of hours or until spreading consistency.
Note: You can hasten the cooling process by putting the frosting in the refrigerator. If it becomes too thick to spread, warm up in the microwave 10 seconds at a time. Stir after each 10 second interval and continue until you reach the desired consistency.
You may also like: