Aunt Donna had mentioned putting cream cheese in the giant cinnamon roll post I had a while back. But I wanted to switch up the flavor profile all together and make it part sweet roll and part strawberry cheesecake. So it is layers of whole wheat sweet roll dough around a cream cheese filling and slices of fresh strawberries. A little glaze on top and it is a perfect spring treat.
Strawberries and Cream Skillet Roll
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T yeast
3 T sugar
1 1/4 cups milk, warmed
3 T butter
1 tsp salt
8 oz Neufchatel Cheese
1 tsp vanilla
3 T sugar
1/2 lb strawberries, sliced
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in your mixer bowl. Add warm milk, butter and egg. Mix until completely combined.
- Scrape down sides, then attach your dough hook. Allow it to work the dough on low for five minutes.
- Transfer dough into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour. The dough is ready when you touch it and the indent stays down.
- Pat out into a 12 x 20 square on a floured surface.
- Mix together cream cheese, egg, vanilla and sugar. Spread over dough. Cut into two inch strips. Spread sliced strawberries over cream cheese mixture.
- Roll the first strip and place in the center of a greased 12" cast iron skillet. Add the rest of the strips in circles around the center.
- Let dough rise to double again. You can let it rise on the counter for another hour, or in the fridge overnight.
- Bake at 350 F for thirty minutes
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Drizzle glaze over hot roll.
- Allow to cool slightly, but it is best served while still warm.
You may also like: