Browned Butter Cowgirl Cookies
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups oats
1/3 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1 to 2 T sea salt
- Brown butter over medium heat until a nutty brown color. It will most likely foam up and have a few brown specks in it. This is to be expected. Let cool until it is the texture you would normally use when creaming butter and sugar together. I put mine in the refrigerator to cool for a bit stirring periodically. The larger the container you put in the quicker it will cool.
- Meanwhile, measure the brown sugar and sugar into your mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir with a whisk.
- When the butter is the right temperature beat it in with the brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time and beat until combined.
- Stir in the oats, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt. Remove from cookie sheet onto a cooling rack.
Here are some more great cookie recipes: