Jax loves yogurt. He loves smoothies, cups of yogurt and especially fruit and yogurt parfaits. He thinks it is fun to dump some granola on top and crunch on the little bits of sweet goodness. But granola can be expensive, and who knows what they put in it? So I never keep it on hand. I do always have oatmeal though. I also always have some form of sugar and oil. So, I am always just a bit of time and hardly any effort away from granola. There are many variations you can make, but this is our favorite so far!
Update: This granola is MiMi's new favorite! She stumbled back on it recently, more than a year after I posted it and decided to give it a try. Now she is hooked. She loves that it stays crunchy in spite of our humidity! What are your favorite granola add-ins?
Toasted Maple Cinnamon Granola
2 cups oats
1/4 cup brown sugar (granulated works fine too)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 T coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
Optional: pecans or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-15 minutes. They should start to emit a toasty aroma and take on a little color. (You can skip this step, but it adds a little extra depth of flavor to your granola.)
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil nad stir in the sugar, syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Once the oats are toasted, remove from oven and turn the oven down to 250 F.
- Stir oats into syrup mixture and spread over the baking sheet again.
- Bake for one hour, stirring half way through.
- Remove from oven and spread over wax paper to cool. Break into bite sized pieces and store in an air tight container until ready to use!