I'm not quite sure what got me started looking at sheet cake recipes, but I spent an entire morning pinning different ones to my Pinterest page. Father's Day was coming up so I asked Pops to choose one. He really likes a white cake with white frosting so it didn't surprise me when he chose this one. Most cake recipes require softened butter and room temperature ingredients. I don't always plan ahead when making cake so I was really happy to find that most of the sheet cake recipes were started in a pan on the stove. No planning ahead required and most of the ingredients are staples in our home. The icing is cooked also. Again, no softened butter needed.
Another advantage to this kind of sheet cake recipe is that you put a warm icing on a warm cake so it smooths itself out pretty well. No worrying about crumbs surfacing as you ice the cake. I have made a traditional chocolate Texas Sheet Cake many times. I think I will be making this one and some new ones again and again. This recipe is quick, easy and fun to make!
I followed the recipe for White Texas sheet cake from Kitty's Kozy Kitchen. After reviewing several recipes, I realized that most of them follow this same recipe. The only change I made was the addition of 1 tsp of vanilla in both the cake and icing recipes. I really like the way a combination of vanilla and almond extracts taste in cakes and icings.
White Texas Sheet Cake
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease your sheet cake pan (MiMi used this 10x15x1 pan).
- Bring butter and water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining cake ingredients.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 22 minutes.
- Cool for about 20 minutes.
- For frosting, bring butter and milk to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spread warm frosting over warm cake and let cool completely before serving.
A few more of our favorite cakes: