Every time dessert comes up, Matt mentions key lime pie. He denies it now, but really he does. He had a key lime pie at a family holiday a while back and now every dessert is compared to that. On the other hand, I have been really wanting to make a lemon meringue pie. I mean I have really wanted one. Like REALLY wanted one, for a long time.
So, I had my craving meet his in the middle. I made a key lime meringue pie!
I was really tempted to make the meringue a mile high. That always makes an impressive presentation and it is just fun! But, I decided to use restraint. This time.
Don't get used to it!
Dreamy Key Lime Pie
1 sleeve graham crackers (or about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs)
6 T butter
2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In food processor, process graham crackers until they are fine crumbs.
- Melt butter and combine with graham cracker crumbs. Press into a deep dish pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and egg yolks.
- Spread in pie crust and set aside,
- In a mixer bowl slowly beat egg whites and cream of tartar on low. Slowly increase speed to medium.
- Slowly add sugar, allowing it to dissolve into the egg whites as you go.
- Increase speed and whip egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Immediately spread over the pie filling. Be sure to spread all the way to the edge of the pie, touching the crust on all sides.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature for an hour or two, then further chill if you'd like.
- This pie is best eaten while fresh.