My nephews, Ben and Luke, were in town and I wanted to make them a special treat. I believe everyone enjoys s'mores so I decided to come up with a recipe that included those flavors. We planned on playing outdoor games on a very hot day so I figured we could use some ice cream. Everyone really enjoyed the toasted marshmallow base. I made this with Golden Grahams because I had that on hand and didn't have any graham crackers. I would suggest using the graham crackers.
Did you catch that guys? There is a toasted marshmallow base! Yep, you toast marshmallows and infuse them into the milk before you even start. Then there are more marshmallows, chocolate and grahams to drive the point home. Everyone loved it!
MiMi served her ice cream with S'mores Bars and the combo was a hit!
S'mores Ice Cream
8 oz miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 T vanilla
1 T heavy cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup graham crackers, broken into bite sized pieces
3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- In a medium sauce pan, warm the milk over low heat. Do not let come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, toast marshmallows by lining a half baker sheet with parchment paper. Spread 8 ox of miniature marshmallows on the baking sheet and broil on low with the door open for about 30 seconds. The oven shelf should be about 6 inches below the heat source. Keep an eye on them and remove when they are nice and golden brown.
- Add the marshmallows to the milk and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until well chilled.
- After the marshmallow mixture is well chilled, you are ready to make your ice cream. Whisk the two eggs in a small bowl or mason jar until light and fluffy, about one or two minutes.
- Whisk the sugar in a little at a time and continue to mix until well blended, about one minute more. Add the vanilla.
- Whisk the marshmallow mixture and heavy cream together until smooth. Gently whisk in the egg mixture.
- Freeze according to the directions on your ice cream freezer. (MiMi uses the Kitchenaid attachment)
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips, graham cracker and miniature marshmallows. Transfer to a freezer container and freeze until ready to eat (or enjoy it now!)