These pickles turned out amazing. The spice level obviously depends on the red pepper flakes you use and how much you use. My dad makes his own pepper flakes from a variety of hot peppers that would result in pickles that would make steam come out of your ears. The pepper flakes I used have a more average heat level and produced a delicious pickle. I would definitely recommend making these with any extra cucumbers you have!
This made two very full quart sized jars for me. I kept one at home and took one to share with everyone at my parents. Pops like them so much he confiscated what was left!
Cori's Gone in a Second Pickles
3 lbs. cucmbers (about 6 medium cucumbers)
10 T salt
4 cups boiling water
1 tsp Accent * (optional, I skipped it and still loved the results)
6-8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup vinegar
3 cups ice water
3 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- Cut your cucumbers in half lengthwise, then slice them in half inch slices.
- In a large sauce pan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add salt and stir until dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and drop in cucumber slices. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Drain cucumbers. Mix drained cucumbers with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into jars and refrigerate at least overnight.
A few more fun dishes: