These bars work great when you need a little chocolate and don't want to feel bad about it. You can also freeze individual portions so that the kids can just grab one and heat slightly when they need a little pick me up. (You can do it to, nobody is watching!) They are so full of fudgy flavor. The texture is great too. It is like brownie meats oatmeal cookie. Is that a thing? It is now!
Healthier Chocolate Banana Bars
4 medium bananas, the riper the better
1/4 cup coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 whole wheat flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and grease a 10 x 15" bar pan
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until mostly smooth. Mix in the oil, peanut butter, sugar, honey, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in salt, baking soda, flour, cocoa, oats and chocolate chips until just incorporated.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely then slice into bars.
- If you can't eat them all now, feel free to freeze individual bars and warm slightly as you'd like!
A couple of more healthier banana favorites: