Happy National S'mores day! I wanted to get your oh so important holiday started off right. S'mores for breakfast? Sign me up! Now don't get me wrong, I won't judge if you just go right for the chocolate bar and marshmallows in the morning. But, just in case you wanted a more proper breakfast, I created one just for you.
So now when somebody asks what you had for breakfast you can say oatmeal. (See proper adult breakfast!) It is up to you if you tell them about the graham crackers, chocolate and toasty marshmallows.
S'mores Baked Oatmeal
makes 2 generous portions
4 sheets of graham crackers, crushed
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup yogurt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preaheat oven to 350 F
- Put half of the graham cracker crumbs in each of two 2 cup glass bowls or ramekins. (I used these*)
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, cocoa, oatmeal, salt, syrup, egg, yogurt, almond extract and baking powder until completely combined.
- Pour over graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
- Turn on your broiler.
- Place marshmallows over oatmeal and place under broiler until they reach your desired level of golden brown. Don't walk away, this won't take long!
- These are best enjoyed while still warm and the marshmallows are melty, but it is also delicious at room temp.
A couple more S'mores treats: