homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Since I have been excited about creating new Texas sheet cake recipes I thought it would be fun to make a chocolate chip cookie dough flavored sheet cake. I am especially proud of this one. It took a lot of thought to come up with the perfect recipe. I did not want this to be like a cookie but rather a cake that tastes like cookie dough. Cookie dough and brownie batter are two of my favorite things. It doesn't seem right to serve a bowl of cookie dough to your guests, so this cake was the best alternative.
To top it off, I came up with a cookie dough flavored icing. You will not believe how good this is.
A note from Carlee:
MiMi is right to be proud of this one. It was a fun idea and she did great on the execution. Despite the fact we were all full from a delicious dinner, nobody had a problem finishing their portion. My sisters were both happy to take some home with them as well!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sheet Cake
Makes a 12x18x1 half sheet cake
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (MiMi used dark brown sugar for more flavor)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, frozen
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 T vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, frozen
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease a 12x18x1 half sheet cake pan.
- Bring butter and water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients excluding the chocolate chips. Let the batter cool for a few minutes, then stir in frozen chips.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 22 about minutes or until done.
- Cool for about 20 minutes before frosting the cake.
- For the icing, bring the butter and milk to a boil in a large sauce pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Spread warm icing over warm cake. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips. Let cool completely before serving.
A couple of more sheet cakes: