My family really enjoyed this ice cream. Just wait until you try the cake that I made to go with it. I'll share that recipe also!
A note from Carlee:
You guys, in case you can't tell by looking at it, this ice cream is GOOOOOD! The brown sugar in the base really makes all the difference. This might be one of my favorite MiMi ice creams yet, and that is really sayings something!
Homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Cookie dough bites:
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 T vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 T vanilla extract
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
For the cookie dough bites:
- Beat the butter and sugars together.
- Mix together the vanilla and milk.
- Stir together the flour and salt.
- Alternately add the flour and milk mixtures to the butter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper. Press the cookie dough onto cookie sheet to a depth of about 1 cm. Place in freezer while making the ice cream base.
For the ice cream:
- With an immersion blender, beat the eggs (MiMi does this in a ball jar) until they are light and foamy. This takes about a minute.
- Slowly add in the brown sugar, until well incorporated. (About two minutes)
- Add vanilla.
- In a large measuring bowl, mix together the cream and milk. Gently stir in the egg mixture. (you don't want to beat it at this point, the air is already added to the eggs)
- Pour into your ice cream maker and make according to your maker's directions. (It normally takes MiMi about 20 minutes in her Kitcheaide ice cream maker attachment)
- Remove cookie dough from freezer and cut or break off bits of cookie dough the size you would like them in your ice cream.
- Stir cookie dough bits into the ice cream as soon as it is done churning.
- Store in the freezer until frozen.
MiMi also wanted to share that she has a new favorite way to store her ice cream. She found these Tovolo Glide-A-Scoop containers that fit in the freezer well, stack easily and store nicely. She already has a couple and is getting ready to order more. (They certainly did not sponsor this in any way, MiMi just really likes them!)
More ice cream!