I don't know if you guys know this or not, but I have a sweet tooth. I thought I might go ahead and fess up to it! I also love all things chocolate and peanut butter. I mean, that does go without saying right? So I just couldn't help myself when I saw a bag of peanut butter M&Ms on sale at the store.
I had been wanting to make some cookies, but sometimes cookies take too long! You have to wait for the butter to come to room temperature, make the dough, put it back in the fridge to firm up, scoop the cookies, bake the cookies. I am a little impatient sometimes (keep your comments to yourself, MiMi!) so I need to have a shortcut.
A skillet cookie solves some of the time issues. You can use melted butter and can bake it right away because you don't have to worry about the cookies spreading too far. Plus it just takes one trip to the oven, no worry about doing a sheet at a time!
The melted butter also made it much easier for Jax to stir as well. So it was win, win. He has so much fun helping in the kitchen. For this project he got to crack the eggs, dump the ingredients in the bowl, and stir them up. He also enjoyed pushing the dough into the skillet and spreading it around. But his favorite part was putting some more M&M's on top. Our cookie might have been missing an M&M or two, but it was still delicious.
The cookie slices best if you wait a while first. Jax and I couldn't wait, so we had crumbly but delicious cookies! Matt and Sam were installing some siding for a couple of friends, so Jax and I delivered some pieces to them. The extra wait time made those pieces come out much better.
We also loaded up some pieces in the wagon and walked them over to my brothers' house. Our cookie delivery service did not get any complaints!
This cookie is everything you would want from a skillet cookie. It is thick and soft in the middle with just a little bit of crunch around the edge. But don't take it from, try one yourself!
Peanut Butter M&M Skillet Cookie
Makes on thick 9" cookie
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
3 T milk powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (you can use all all-purpose)
1 bag peanut butter M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Melt butter in mixing bowl, then stir in peanut butter.
- Mix in brown sugar and sugar and stir well.
- Add in egg and vanilla and stir until completely uniform.
- Stir in the salt, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda until really well mixed.
- Stir in flours until just combined. Fold in most of the M&M's, reserving some to place on top.
- Press into a 9" skillet or cake pan. Arrange remaining candies on the top of the cookie.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- (This is the hardest part!) Wait for at least 45 minutes before cutting and serving. If you jump the gun, it will still taste great but will not hold its shape.
More delicious cookies: