Of course it was plenty easy to come up with all sorts of fun apple sweets for the apple themed shower, but it was a little harder to come up with savory ideas. I actually had quite a few of them, but most would be better made and eaten while warm. I wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the party too, so the more I could make ahead the better. This cheese ball was perfect for that. This was the only thing I made that didn't actually have any apple in it, but it looked like an apple so it was close enough!
It came together quickly in the food processor. The most time consuming part was covering it in peppers and even that didn't take long. I really enjoy the peppers on Ro's Havarti Cheese Ball so I thought it would be a great way to make this red as well! It was about 2/3 gone after the shower (with plenty of other options available), so I would say it was a hit!
Apple Shaped Cheddar Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
8 oz block sharp cheddar
16 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup cooked and chopped bacon
1 (1 oz) package ranch seasoning mix
1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
2 red peppers, chopped into small squares
- In a food processor, chop cheddar until it is small crumbles.
- Add cream cheese, bacon, ranch mix and chives. Process until well combined.
- Scoop out of processor and place on plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to form the cheese into a ball.
- Remove plastic wrap and place peppers around ball, use a pepper stem as the apple stem.
- Wrap in fresh plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Another fun cheese ball option: