Welcome to my second The Cake Slice Bakers post! The group picks a book each November and is given a choice of 4 recipes from the book each month to make. This is the last month of baking Southern Living Cake Book. So rather than picking from 4 recipes, the instruction was to bake any cake in the book. This caramel cake was actually a choice a few months back, but I wasn't in the group yet. I have been wanting to bake a caramel cake for a while now, so I went ahead and did it anyway. Hopefully the other bakers aren't tired of the caramel cake already!
We are supposed to cook the recipes as unaltered as possible, which I did. Until it came to the last minute. I was throwing an apple themed shower and I wanted to the cake to tie into the theme. So, I added some apple chips and a drizzle of extra caramel to dress it up for the party! It was so pretty nobody wanted to cut into it, but let me tell you it was worth it once we did! The cake is dense and moist and perfectly homemade. The icing is sweet with a nice depth. The extra drizzle of caramel and apple chips brought it all together. Come to think of it, I think it is time for me to get another slice!
Southern Caramel Cake
Original recipe from: Southern Living Cake Book
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 cup butter, softened
2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare two 9 inch cake pans by greasing and dusting with flour.
- In your mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, mixing until blended after adding each one.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add 1/3 of dry mixture to wet mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in sour cream. Add 1/3 more of dry mixture, again mixing until just blended. Stir in milk, then add last dry ingredient portion.
- Spread into your batter in prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then invert onto wire racks and let cool completely.
- Spread caramel frosting over cakes.
- Optional: drizzle with caramel sauce and top with apple chips.
See what the other Cake Slice Baker baked this month!
This link-up is for cake slice baker group members only, all other links will be removed. If you would like to become a member, please let us know!