And now back to the Apple of Their Eye Shower! I am really hoping I can get all of the treats posted from that shower before we get to the next one in a couple of weeks. I usually make a little bag of cookies as the favor for people at parties. This time I decided to do something a little different. I thought a little cereal snack mix with apple pie flavors and apple chips would be a perfect fit for the theme. Then everyone could have a little bag of treats to eat the next day while reminiscing over the fun we had.
Apple Spice Snack Mix
1 12.8 oz box rice chex
8 T butter (divided)
1 cup browned sugar, packed
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
4 cups apple chips, broken into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup vanilla baking chips
- In a microwave safe bowl large enough to accommodate the full box of cereal, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Microwave 1 minute longer or until smoothand bubbly.
- Pour in cereal and mix until as evenly coated as possible (don't worry if it isn't perfect there it gets easier to stir.)
- Microwave on high for a minute, then stir. Repeat 3 more times.
- Stir in apple chips while still warm and gooey.
- Spread over wax paper sheets to cool.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave baking chips and butter for 30 seconds. Stir and continue microwaving and stirring in 10 second intervals until smooth. Drizzle over cereal and apples. Let stand until set.
- Store in airtight containers.