I'll start this with the disclosure that I have never eaten any other acorns. That being said, I am still pretty sure these are THE MOST DELICIOUS ACORNS! They have to be. There is no way they aren't. I mean really, think about the ingredients:
- Peanut butter Oreos, I mean really. They took the most iconic chocolate cookie and put peanut butter in the filling. It HAS to be good.
- Cream cheese just makes everything better.
- Chocolate. 'Nuf said!
- A little bit of pretzel cause chocolate and pretzels are meant to go together.
- Sprinkles because they make everything special.
Daycare is closed this week, so I get to be home with the little guy. My youngest sister, Chloe, is home from college this week for Thanksgiving break. So MiMi and Chloe came over to make some festive treats with us. They are bringing this to the Thanksgiving feast at grandma's. The rest of the treats are more winter themed and I will start sharing them soon!
MiMi thought it would be a good idea to freeze the balls with the pretzels in the acorns already. This made dipping really easy because there was a built in handle. It did make adding the sprinkles a bit of a challenge, but in the end I think it was worth it! They turned out really cute and I think everyone will love them. How could they not?
Acorn Oreo Balls
makes about 3 dozen acorns
1 package peanut butter Oreos
1 8 oz package cream cheese
Chocolate flavored candy melt
- In a food processor, process the Oreos into crumbs.
- Add the cream cheese and process until well mixed.
- Form the cream cheese mixture into small balls (about a Tablespoon each). Flatten one side a bit and pinch the other side to create an acorn shape.
- Place 1/2 of a pretzel stick into the flatter side of the acorn and place onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Freeze acorns for about an hour.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler or in the microwave. (MiMi has a little chocolate warmer that is perfect for this kind of thing, so we used that.)
- Just take a few acorns out of the freezer at a time because they are much easier to dip when they are frozen solid. Holding the pretzel stick, dip the ball in the chocolate until covered. Add sprinkled to the top of the acorns and place on waxed paper to harden.
- Try your best not to eat them all!