After making a couple of batches of Minions Baked Custards, I found myself with extra cream and egg whites on hand. Now, I am not one to waste such tasty ingredients, especially if they lend themselves so well to a delicious dessert. My immediate thought was pavlova! I have to make a pavlova!
I mean, that was your first thought too, right?!
It should have been, this was delicious!
This dessert is actually very easy to make. It has a few steps and takes a little time, but not one part of it is actually hard to do. First the egg whites turn into the meringue base. Then a batch of cocoa whipped cream get beaten into a fluffy nest for the fresh raspberries to sit on. A quick drizzle of chocolate and your guests will be amazed. So will your taste buds!
My cousin Emily was over helping me make cookies, so her family joined us for our weekly family dinner. She said that was her new favorite desserts. That or the kolacky which she had just tried for the first time too. ;-) Both are great in very different ways, so I can understand her quandary. I guess we'll just have to make them both again!
Raspberry Cocoa Pavlova
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
1 recipe cocoa whipped cream
1 1/2 cups raspberries
2 T chocolate chips
1/4 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Using a pencil, trace around a 9" pan or bowl on a piece of parchment. Place pencil mark down on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and corn starch.
- In mixer bowl, beat together egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with whisk attachment until foamy.
- Slowly add in sugar mixture. Turn the speed up to medium-high and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Carefully fold in vanilla.
- Pile meringue into the center of the circle your drew on the parchment. Spread evenly toward the edge using the circle as your guide.
- Place in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 250 F. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off, but leave the meringue in the oven until completely cool. Once completely cool you can prepare pavlova immediately or carefully wrap meringue until ready to use.
- To assemble, place meringue on serving dish. Top with cocoa whipped cream. Arrange raspberries.
- Melt chocolate chips and stir in coconut oil. Drizzle over pavlova and serve!