I have been wanting to try 7 minute frosting for a while now. I bought a hand mixer a few months back just to make this frosting! In fact I have used the hand mixer for quite a few things, but never got around to the frosting. Until now, that is! Finally it got to make the frosting!
This frosting is like a marshmallow frosting. There is no added butter, mostly egg whites, sugar and lots of air. I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla. I just love seeing the little bean dots in my custards and frosting. I think it looks extra special, though sometimes pure white is nice too. Either way, you are just 7 minutes away from a sweet and super fluffy frosting!
I think this frosting would be perfect with a devil's food cake, but I made it to go over a big tray of oatmeal creme pie bars! Yum!
7 Minute Frosting
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 egg whites
2 tsp corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
- In the bowl of a double boiler, combine sugar, water, egg whites, corn syrup and salt.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds.
- Set over boiling water (make sure the boiling water is low enough that only the steam hits the double boiler, not the water.) While over the boiling water, beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff and glossy.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and beat an additional 2 minutes.
- It will spread most easily if you do it immediately.