Pops and Matt really love coconut. Most of the rest of the family doesn't share the same fondness, so they don't get to enjoy coconut treats very often. So, I thought it would be fun to make them a special treat. Of course, I like all things sweet so I was certainly going to share in the deliciousness. As it turns out, our good friend Ro loves coconut and macaroons too. So, they had plenty of help eating them. Which is a really good thing, because Pops is "being good" so he wouldn't take any home and Matt somehow can eat one of something and be satisfied. So, it would have played out that I would have eaten more than my fair share anyway. So I was happy to have the help!
Deliciously Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
3 T flour
2 1/2 cups shredded coconut (the sweetened kind you find in the baking aisle)
- Preheat oven to 325 F and grease a couple of cookie sheets
- Beat egg whites and salt until foamy.
- Turn mixer to medium high and slowly add sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold in coconut and flour.
- Drop by rounded Tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.