For the strawberry pie:
1 pie crust for a double pie
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
4 cups of unsweetened frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place one pie crust in a pie tin that has been fitted with aluminum foil. Dock (poke with a fork several times) the crust. Brush it with beaten egg. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit and place over the bottom crust. Weigh it down with pie weights. Cover the edges so they won't brown and bake in a preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the flour, cornstarch and sugar. Stir this mixture into the strawberries.
- Remove par-baked crust from the oven and remove the parchment paper and pie weights.
- Fill the pie with the strawberry mixture. Cover with the second pie crust and pinch the edges together. Cut a couple of slits into the top pie crust.
- Bake at 450 F for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 50 to 60 minutes. Make sure that filling is bubbling and the top crust is golden brown.
I would suggest making this a day ahead of time and refrigerating it after it cools before putting it together with the cake batter.
For the shortcake:
10 T butter, at room temperature
1 T vanilla extract
4 eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the side of the mixing bowl. Beat well after each addition.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk in two or three additions. Beat well.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare a 10 inch springform pan by spraying it with baking spray or butter and flour the pan.
- Place a little less than half of the cake batter into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Dump the strawberry pie over into the batter. Remove the aluminum foil from the pie crust and try to center the pie.
- Spoon the rest of the batter over the top of the pie, making sure that it goes over the edges to fill in the cake pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Check cake for doneness. You may need to bake it a little longer. Let cool in the springform pan for 10 minutes and remove the springform edge. Let cool completely and then refrigerate.
Since turducken is 3 layers, we needed to add another layer to our desert that goes with it. I chose to ice it with sweetened cream. After all, strawberry shortcake would not be complete without the whipped cream.
For the sweetened whipped cream:
2 cup heavy cream
2 T sugar
When ready to serve the cake:
Whip together the cream and sugar until stiff. Spread over the cold cake and serve.
Warning: This makes a wonderfully large shortcakepien. You may need something larger than your average dessert plate to serve it on.
I served it with homemade vanilla ice cream too. If you are going to do it, you might as well go all out!