The tortillas baked up just they way I wanted, golden brown with a nice crunch. Top with a bit of sour cream and guacamole, drizzle with a bit of salsa and dinner is served! Pops and my sister Chloe came over to give them a try and they loved them. Matt ate 3 of them for dinner, so I think he thought they were alright as well! I can't wait to try all sorts of variations of chimichangas. I think a chicken version is next!
Baked Barbacoa Chimichangas
Makes 8 chimichangas
1 1/2 cups refried beans ( I used my slow cooker version)
1 recipe slow cooker barbacoa
1 cup shredded cheese (monterey jack, chedder, co-jack or whatever you like)
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
2 T butter, melted
Your favorite toppings: tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, more cheese or whatever you like
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Spread some of the beans down the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and top with meat.
- Fold each end of the tortilla over the fillings and roll other side around the filling.
- Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Brush chimichangas with melted butter and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.