Hooray! It's crepe day! In full disclosure, I have never celebrated crepe day. But when Audrey from That Recipe mentioned it a few days back, I took notice. It would be the perfect time to share this fun recipe for cottage cheese stuffed crepes. Audrey mentioned a little bit about the holiday in her post and a little more background can be found here. It is fun to read about the superstitions. I had better practice flipping crepes with my left hand! In the end, I find any excuse to eat crepes must be a good one!
I actually made these a week or two ago and today seemed like just the right day to share them with you. They are a sweet baked crepe, but are choc full of protein as well. There is a whole tub of cottage cheese and quite a few eggs in here. The filling ends up reminiscent of a cheesecake type filling with a delicious custard over the top. This would be a perfect brunch dish served with fruit. I served ours with some cinnamon spiced peaches and they were delicious together!
We had ours warm the morning I made them and they were wonderful that way. I also ate one of the leftover crepes cold and it was great that way too. I think this is one of those dishes you could serve any temperature and be happy. I am considering making a couple of batches more for an Easter brunch. You can make the crepes ahead of time and all you would need to do is stuff and bake them. I haven't tried it, but I can't see how it would hurt to stuff them the evening ahead. When you were ready to serve them, it would just take a minute or two to top them with the custard and throw them in the oven. I would just add a few minutes to the bake time to compensate for them starting of cold.
They weren't the most photogenic, but they were delicious. I may have to make them again soon and let them sit a bit longer before serving to see if I can get better pictures. We were too excited to wait with this batch!
Cottage Cheese Stuffed Crepes
Makes about 10 stuffed crepes
1 recipe crepes
1/2 cup sugar
24 oz tub of cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
1 c cream
3/4 cup sour cream
2 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9x13" pan.
- For the filling, lightly beat the eggs, stir in the sugar, cottage cheese (pour off any excess whey), vanilla and lemon juice.
- Spoon about 4 T of filling into each crepe. Roll and place seam side down in the prepared pan.
- For the custard sauce, lightly beat egg and stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over top of stuffed crepes.
- Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until cooked through and mostly set
- They serve easier if you let them sit for a few minutes before trying to dish them out. You can serve them warm or at room temperature.