I don't know if you've noticed, but there are a few things we are guaranteed to love.
- Anything that is going to be wrapped in a tortilla.
- Anything that is easy to eat after a busy work day
- Anything that is braised meat
- Anything that is full of flavor!
This meets all of our criteria for a delicious dinner. We made it with venison roasts, but it would also be delicious with beef. I have never tried it with chicken, but I can't imagine that wouldn't be wonderful as well. Heck, if you have a pork roast I can't imagine that wouldn't be amazing. In fact I think I am going to have to try each of those things, and soon!
This would be great just folded up into tacos. It would be lovely over a salad or on a Mexican pizza. I used it all in some baked chimichangas! I made the refried beans in the crock pot over night and switched them out with the meat before I went to work. I came home ready to shred, stuff and bake. Dinner was served in no time!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Style Venison (or Beef)
2 pounds venison roast or beef roast
1 4 oz can chiles
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (or water)
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 T lime juice
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
Dash of ground cloves
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred meat with two forks to desired texture, being sure to toss all of the meat in the remaining cooking liquids.
- Eat in tortillas with onion and cilantro, over rice, in a burrito or on nachos. The possibilities are endless!