As much as I love frosting, it isn't a big leap to assume I love whipped cream too. And I do! For the longest time I thought there was only kind of whipped cream.... whipped cream! A little vanilla a tiny bit of sugar and you are in business. Then my eyes were opened to a whole new world. MiMi made maple whipped cream for her pumpkin slab pie. I made a cocoa whipped cream for a delicious pavlova. I even made horseradish whipped cream for our prime rib feast on New Year's. But this version has the most flavor yet! It is bursting with coffee and chocolate flavors. It isn't overly sweet, but you could certainly increase the sugar some if you'd like it a bit sweeter. You are just going to have to try it to believe it!
Mocha Whipped Cream
2 T bittersweet chocolate
1 T water
1 T instant coffee
1 cup cream (super cold)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate until it is smooth. Start with a 30 second burst, then stir. Microwave in 15 second bursts after that, stirring after each one until just melted and smooth.
- Stir together 1 T hot water and 1 T instant coffee. Stir into melted chocolate until smooth and allow to cool to room temperature.
- If you have the space, place your mixer bowl and beater in the refrigerator to chill. (It's not necessary, but does help the cream whip easier.) Whip cream, vanilla and sugar until it just begins to form soft peaks.
- With the mixer blade going, add the chocolate/coffee mixture to the bowl. Whip until you reach your desired consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator.