Spring is on the way and I've been seeing some really nice strawberries at the store. I just couldn't wait for strawberries fresh from the garden so I picked some up. Pops really likes crumbles so I thought I'd spoil him with a good strawberry crumble. I served it at our weekly family dinner. Everyone who ate some really liked it. Would you believe we have a family member or two who don't like strawberries? Since I purchased so many berries I decided to make a strawberry orange sorbet to go with it. Matt and Pops have encouraged a new dessert trend for me after the raspberry sorbet idea.
Strawberry Crumble Bars
makes 12 servings
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour
1 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 lbs strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 T corn starch
- Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a 9x13" pan.
- Whisk together sugar, baking powder, salt and flour.
- Cut in the butter until pieces are no bigger than pea sized.
- Stir in an egg to form a crumbly dough.
- Put half of the dough in the prepared pan and press into the entire bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, toss the berries with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and corn starch.
- Spread the strawberry mixture on top of the dough in the pan.
- Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the strawberries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool (if you can wait). Homemade whipped cream or ice cream is a great way to top it off.