Woohoo, good weather is finally here. We have had a really interesting spring, but it seems like grilling season is in full swing! I love grilling this time of year. It is warm enough to have fun while you are out doing it. There is plenty to be done in the garden and little man is having the best time spending as much time as he can outdoors. There gets to be that point in the summer where it is so hot that standing over the grill sounds a bit tortourous and then grilling season comes back around in the fall. Don't get me wrong, we have been known to grill year round and in all sorts of weather. But there are a few choice months each spring and fall when it is so much more enjoyable than the rest of the year.
I couldn't wait to participate in Sunday Supper this week. I felt bad skipping last week, but I wanted to devote the weekend to having with with Cap'n Jax and his pirate friends and making the weekend extra special for him. So when I saw that Sue from A Palatable Pastime picked throwing something on the barbie as the theme, I knew I had to participate. We love to grill!
Then the hard part came. Deciding what to make. We cook a ton of stuff on the grill, some that is really standard and some that is a bit crazy. But, we most of the time it's less of a recipe and more of a let's just do it this way this time. Of course we do have some favorite grilled recipes. If you haven't tried out the Bul Kogi Marinade yet, you have to! We love it on backstrap, but I have also done it on steaks with amazing results and of course there is the more traditional thinly sliced beef. Then of course there is K.C.'s Bacon Explosion which is bound to knock your socks off! Jenny's Bacon Wrapped Grilled Pork Loin is so good that we've had it for Christmas dinner and we made some Grilled Fruit and Donut Shortcakes that were a lot of fun too!
Any of those would have been perfect, but alas I have already told you all about them. So I wanted to try something new and a little bit different. We have been loving fruit on the grill. It adds that little bit of savory smokiness while caramelizing the sugars and concentrating the sweetness. A grilled pineapple slice is fun on a burger or alongside some pork, but most of the grilled fruit ends up on a dessert. (I know surprise, surprise that I would want to turn everything into a dessert!) I have a REALLLLY fun idea I want to try with grilled peaches, but I want to wait until local peaches are ripe and delicious. So, you'll have to wait a bit longer for that. Instead, I thought it would be fun to do a sweet and savory side with grilled fruit.
Canteloupe seemed like a perfect choice. It is easy to cut and grill and lends itself nicely to a sweet and savory side dish. The grilling added that little bit of smokey flavor to the sweet melon. The cheese adds that salty savory flavor. The lime juice and cilantro brighten it all up. It is a quick and delicious change to your summer side routine!
Grilled Canteloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs
3 T lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro (or cilantro and chives mixed)
5 oz queso fresco, crumbled
salt and pepper
(you can toss in a tablespoon of honey it the cateloupe isn't super ripe and you need a little extra sweetness)
- Scoop the seeds out of the canteloupe and cut into flat slices.
- Grill over high heat. You want to grill until there are grill marks and a bit of char, but you don't want it to cook through. Just a few minutes on each side so it doesn't get too mushy.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool. Cook into bite sized chunks. Toss with lime juice, chopped herbs and queso fresco. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Taste and add honey or additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
And now to see what all of the Sunday Supper contributors are throwing on their barbie. I wish I could have a taste of each!
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Articholes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement