We recently made Maw-Maw's Italian Braciole for our family dinner. Since we had an Italian inspired dinner I felt we should have Italian all of the way through dessert. I found a recipe for lemon Italian ice that I decided to make, but felt like baking too. That's when I found Lemon Pound Cake on My Recipe Confessions. I changed it up just a little bit and the results were wonderful.
Italian Lemon Bundt Cake
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups honey
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
4 T lemon juice
1 T lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Honey Glaze Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 T unsalted butter
pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- Cream butter and honey until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter miture. Mix in half of the buttermilk and then add in another 1/3 of the flour mixture. Then mix in the rest of the buttermilk and finish by adding in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn the cake over on a cake plate. Pour warm honey lemon glaze over the warm cake.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine sugar and honey in a medium pan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves into a liquid. Continue to cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally. Mixture will bubble and start to darken in color. Once mixture is a medium brown, stir using a wooden spoon and remove from heat. Carefully stir in the cream. Add butter and stir until smooth. Add salt and stir once more.
- Let sauce cool until just warm before using on the cake.