Happy Sunday! As normal, we have been having a fun weekend full of running around outside and playing at the park. I really should use the weekend cleaning up the house and getting things done, but there was a little guy who wanted to go visit the rolly slide, so we did that instead! This week's theme for Sunday Supper is Dad's Favorite Recipes and it is being hosted by The Chef Next Door. You would think that would be an easy theme to pick a recipe. Just imagine your dad's favorite recipe and make it. The problem is my dad likes everything. He really isn't picky at all and seems to enjoy most anything you could put in front of him. So I thought long and hard. I was tempted to do something orange creamsicle related, but I just did a no-bake cheesecake not too long ago. I thought about homemade chocolate covered cherries, but those usually take a couple of weeks and heavens knows I'm not that far ahead of the game right now! (Though I do have a chocolate covered cherry cookie recipe that is delicious!) I have been wanting to post more savory recipes, so I tried to get my wheels turning that direction.
My dad, like most I think, loves to grill and loves all of the sides you think of when you think of BBQs and picnics. In fact he loves pasta salad so much the requests it from my mom sometimes. I dropped by to pick something up once and saw her making pasta salad. For one. She doesn't eat it and he wanted it so she made him a little bowl of pasta salad. It was kind of funny to see it! Now, Matt has a summer tradition of BLTs. And since he is a dad too, I decided to combine the two to make the ultimate dad's recipe in honor of them both.
But here's the thing. I love a good BLT, don't get me wrong. But you know what I love even more? A BLT with an egg and some avocado. YUM! So I took all of the delicious parts of my turned up BLT and stirred them in some pasta with a simple dressing that lets all of the flavor of the sandwich fillings shine. Oh heavens! I actually used spinach here instead of lettuce, mostly because I had a bunch that needed picked from the garden. So maybe I should have called this BEAST mode pasta salad?
Probably. But whatever. I live dangerously ;-)
Silly names or not. Spinach or lettuce. No matter what, you owe it to yourself to give this a try. It would be perfect alongside burgers, brats, fried chicken and would travel nicely in your pick-i-nick basket as well.
So now I'm dying to know. What are some of your dad's favorite things to eat?
The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad
12 oz pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 sour cream
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
4 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 lb bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
9 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 lb spinach, roughly chopped (or your favorite lettuce)
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 avocados, cubed
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Toss in pasta, baco, cherry tomatoes, spinach and hard boiled eggs. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stir in avocados when ready to serve.
The avocados actually hold up pretty well in the leftovers. So if you need to stir them in before you are ready to serve, they should be fine. I just like to wait until the last minute if I can and hold off the oxidation for as long as I can!
Now let's take a look at what the other Sunday Supper bloggers made for their dads.
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline's Cooking
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom's Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica's Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee