I don't know about you, but I have really been loving all of the red, white and blue projects and recipes in anticipation of the 4th of July. I'll be a little sad to see them all go after tomorrow. The worst part is there isn't a fun food holiday in sight for a while after that. Is there? Am I missing one? Or after the 4th do we have to wait for pumpkin season to have something to celebrate?! I know... just the mere mention of pumpkin season brought twinkles to some of your eyes and the rest of you are rolling them. Ok. Fine. I'll move on.
Back to the good ole Red, White and Blue!
One of my favorite parts about cooking for the 4th, other that the patriotic part of course, is how easy it is to get the colors with berries. I LOOOOOVE berries. With all of the great fresh berries in the stores lately, I have been going crazy. I'd be perfectly happy making a different red, white and blue recipe with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and cherries every day for the month leading into the 4th. You guys (and my husband!) would tire of it long before I would. So when Cindy's Recipes and Writings picked easy 4th of July recipes as this week's Sunday Supper them, I knew it had to include berries. That brings me to these pies.
Two bite strawberry and blueberry pies that are no bake and so easy!
They would be perfect for your Fourth of July parties. They would also be great for any spring or summer picnic. You can of course make just one flavor or the other. My husband, who doesn't even really like sweets all that much, kept going back for more to decide which he liked better. He couldn't decide. He said they were both a big win. I'll take it!
No Bake Two Bite Berry Pies
makes 30 mini pies
30 mini phyllo cups
1 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, divided
1 T lemon juice
2 T sugar
2 T water
2 T cornstarch
1 1/4 cup blueberries
1 T lemon juice
2 T sugar
2 T water
2 T cornstarch
For serving: fresh blueberries, sliced strawberries and fresh whipped cream
- In a small saucepan, mix together lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 1 cup of strawberries.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Either mash berries a bit or hit it with an immersion blender a couple of times. Cook until thick like a pudding. Remove from heat and stir in remaining chopped strawberries. Spoon into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve (up to a few days).
- Repeat process with blueberries.
- To serve: spoon into a phyllo cup, top with fresh fruit and serve with whipped cream.
Note: I actually prefer the phyllo cups toasted up a bit. I would recommend that if you have the time. Do it ahead of time and make sure they are cooled completely before filling.
Now let's see what all of the Sunday Supper cooks are making for their 4th of July celebrations. I can't wait to check some of these out!!
- Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball by Magnolia Days
- How to make Chicken Yakitori in Skewers for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
Raise the Flag Breakfasts
- Breakfast Cake Stars with Strawberry Syrup by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Red, White, and Blue Berrylicious Smoothie Bowl by The Hungry Goddess
For the Red, White and Blue Salads and Main Dishes
- Bang Bang Pork Chops by Wholistic Woman
- Blueberry and Watermelon Arugula Salad by A Mind Full Mom
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce for Red, White and Blue Chicken Skewers by Caroline’s Cooking
- Firecracker Hot Dogs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Founder’s Mac and Cheese by Cooking Chat
- Pumped Up Potato Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Red Hot Chicken and Blue Cheese Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red White & Blue Caprese Salad by Go Epicurista
- Red White and Blue Fruit Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, and Blue Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon Salad with Feta & Blueberries by Monica’s Table
- Yankee Doodle Noodle Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Oh Say Can You See Desserts
- All-American Patriotic Dessert Tarts by Family Around The Table
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Easy (No Bake!) Two Bite Berry Pies by Cooking With Carlee
- Firecracker Muddy Buddies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Flag Fruit Pizza by Dash of Evans
- Homemade Snow Cones by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic M&M Cookie Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Patriotic Smoothie Pops by Crazed Mom
- Red, White, and Blue Berry Pound Cake Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Red, White and Blue Fruit Kabob Flag by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Red, White, and Blue Fruit Tart by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Granita by Dessert Geek
- Red, White, and Blue M&M Cookies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Red White and Blue Parfaits by Desserts Required
- Red, White and Blue Popsicles by Our Good Life
- Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispie Treats by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red, White and Blue Shooting Stars by The Freshman Cook
- Red White and Blue Strawberries with Chantilly Cream by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Rice Krispies Treat Birthday Cake by Pies and Plots
- Rosemary Cookies with Tomato Jam by The Finer Cookie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.