My brother K.C. has been begging for Egg Benedict Tarts ever since he saw a picture of them. So I hosted a breakfast for family dinner. A breakfast for dinner feast needs to end with an appropriate dessert of cinnamon rolls and muffins. A perfect time to experiment!! I had been thinking of these muffins for a few weeks now, so I was really excited to have a good chance to give them a go.
|My little helper loves to make muffins with me!|
Orange Creamsicle Sourdough Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sourdough starter, straight from the fridge is fine
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
finely grated zest of one orange
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or additional all-purpose)
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vanilla chips
- Stir together oats, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla and yogurt right away and let sit while you gather up the rest of the ingredients and get ready. You want the oats to have a chance to soften up a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Stir sourdough starter and sugar into oats.
- In a small bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir oil and egg into oat mixture.
- Then stir in dry ingredients until just mixed. Fold in vanilla chips.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.