Don't get me wrong, it is fun to watch the little guy enjoy himself with a big plate of 'sketti. But as he's slurping the noodles, it is hard not to notice the specks of sauce flying. Then there's the meatballs. The glorious meatballs. They are unlikely to actually go rolling away because of a sneeze, but the chances of one hitting the floor don't seem so astronomical. Then there's the fact that we have light colored carpet on our dining room floor.
Don't ever put light colored carpets on a dining room floor!
It was there when we moved in, but we didn't have a little one yet so we didn't think much of it. We always had a drop cloth under his highchair, so it still wasn't a huge deal when he was younger either. But now he is a big boy and eats at the big table. Really, he does a pretty good job for the most part. There are likely to be almost as many splatters and crumbs around Matt's spot as Jax's. BUUUT, it still makes me nervous. We keep saying we are going to replace the carpet, but it seems a shame to rip it up when it's in pretty good shape. Plus there's the whole contractor's wife thing. Actually Matt is pretty good about stopping to do a project at the house when I ask him to. I just need to tell him what the project is, pick out the materials and design and then we sync our calendars to find a block of time that will work. We both mark it in and it gets done. But it is really hard to ask him to block of time where he could be doing paying jobs to replace flooring that isn't bad. So one of these days a glass of red wine.... or a meatball will end up on the floor. In the meantime we just try our best not to let that happen!
It's a new twist on one of my childhood favorites and is sure to be one of Jax's childhood favorites! What are you favorite foods from childhood?
Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole
Generously serves 8
1 recipe Marlene's Meatballs (or 1 pound of your favorite meatball recipe)
13-16 oz box of spaghetti
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Make your meatball recipe into small, bite sized meatballs and bake according to your recipe. Set aside until ready to use.
- Cook your spaghetti to al dente. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Once your spaghetti is cool enough to handle, stir together the ricotta, garlic, eggs and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss the noodles in this mixture and press into a well greased 9x13" pan.
- Place meatballs on top of spaghetti and distribute sauce over the casserole.
- Cover and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned to your liking.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then cut and serve.
I am a big kid at heart, so I can't wait to see what all of the Sunday Supper taste makers are making for this event. Just look at the titles of some of these!
- Dueling Gyozas - Pork vs. Tofu by Food Lust People Love
- Kid-Approved Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips by Dessert Geek
- S’mores Cheeseball by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Aunt Deborah’s Snickerdoodles by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Frozen Custard by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Easy Nutella Mousse by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Fairy Bread Funfetti Milkshakes by The Crumby Cake
- Grape Juice Jigglers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gumdrop Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Cherry Popsicles by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Peach Boy Ice Cream by The Ninja Baker
- Mango Creamsicles by The Redhead Baker
- No-Cook Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream by Hardly A Goddess
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- S'mores Cheesecake by The Freshman Cook
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Cinnamon Pecan Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Chef Next Door
- Turtle Poke Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whoopie Pies by Monica’s Table
- Broccoli Cheese Soup by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Dog Muffins by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Deep Dish Pizza Casserole by My World Simplified
- Grilled Pizza Flatbread Bar by Momma’s Meals
- How to Set Up a Hot Dog Bar by An Appealing Plan
- Lobster Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Madison’s Shrimp Lasagna Rolls by Life Tastes Good
- Orecchiette Pasta with Creamy Alfredo Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Pasta Quattro Formaggi by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole by Cooking with Carlee
- Tuna Salad Grinders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Caprese Quesadillas by Simple and Savory
- Maple Brown Sugar Granola Clusters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Parfait by Our Good Life
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This recipe is shared at The Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday